The Nursing /Midwifery Unit Manager (NUM/MUM) role is pivotal to the co-ordination of patient care, ward management and leadership to ensure the delivery of high quality patient care and the efficient use of resources.
Clinician engagement and leadership has been a prominent feature of the public health system for a number of years, where clinician led clinical standards, safety and quality improvements have become a major focus. The LHD is committed to the strengthening and ongoing involvement and clinician engagement of staff that provide direct patient care in the planning, delivery, improvement and evaluation of health services.
Definition of NUM/MUM roles for the Public Health System Nurses and Midwives (State) Award 2011:
"Nursing/Midwifery Unit Manager" means a registered nurse/midwife in charge of a ward or unit or group of wards or units in a public hospital or health service or public health organisation and shall include:
"Nursing/Midwifery Unit Manager Level 1"- responsibilities include:
(a) Coordination of Patient Services -
• liaison with all health care disciplines for the provision of services to meet
• the orchestration of services to meet patient needs after discharge;
(b) Unit Management-
• implementation of hospital/health service policy:
• dissemination of information to all personnel;
• ensuring environmental safety;
• monitoring the use and maintenance of equipment;
• monitoring the supply and use of stock and supplies;
(c) Staff Management -
• direction, co-ordination and supervision of clinical care activities;
• training, appraisal and counselling of team members;
• rostering and/or allocation of team members;
• Development and/or implementation of new clinical practice according to patient need.
Nursing/Midwifery Unit Manager Level 2 - responsibilities in relation to patient services, ward or unit management and staff management are in excess of those of a Nursing/Midwifery Unit Manager Level 1.
Nursing/Midwifery Unit Manager Level 3 - responsibilities in relation to patient services, ward or unit management and staff management are in excess of those of a Nursing/Midwifery Unit Manager Level 2.
Purpose in relation to this particular position: