Purpose of Position
The EN must practice and act in accordance with recognised professional and organisations standards established by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia, the NSW Ministry of Health and NSLHD Policy and Practices.
- The EN will assist in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the day to day mental health and basic physical health care requirements of patients of their ward.
- The EN will practice under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). Supervision may be direct or indirect and all duties are delegated after consideration of relevant legislation and policies, the context of practice and the competence of the EN.
- The EN retains responsibility for their personal and professional actions whilst remaining accountable to the RN for all delegated functions.
- Activities which the EN may provide support for include coordinating and initiating health care for patients in the hospital setting. This includes participating in mental health assessments, risk assessment and management, history taking, documentation (manually and electronically, including MH-OAT) and developing comprehensive nursing management plans.
- Other important activities which the EN may be directly or indirectly involved in include the initiation and administration of appropriate treatment, including medication (as per scope of practice), management and referral in emergency situations (as per scope of practice), communicating and liaising with patients and their families, colleagues and other multidisciplinary members of the health care team.
- Providing physical and psychological comfort and support
- Assisting with assessment including observation and monitoring of health status
- Collecting accurate health care information and maintaining accurate health care documentation.
- Communicating with patients, carers and other health care team members colleagues and regarding nursing care
- Undertaking nursing interventions relevant to the level of practice or accreditation
- The EN assesses, plans, implements and evaluates nursing care in collaboration with individual/s and the multidisciplinary health care team to achieve quality patient care outcomes.
- The EN provides evidence based nursing care commensurate with own skills and competence within a multidisciplinary supportive team environment.
- The EN works within the team environment supporting other and less experienced staff to ensure safe practice within adopted models of care
- The EN works within the Code of Professional Conduct for Nurses and the ANCI Code of Ethics Australia
- The EN is accountable for their clinical practice, continual reflective professional development and performance review.
- Ensuring your own continuing professional development
- The EN is responsible to ensure the appropriate requirements are met to maintain and update their registration annually with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency ( AHPRA )
- Contributing to ongoing quality improvement
Applications are invited from suitably experienced Enrolled Nurses wishing to work in Mental Health.
Macquarie Hospital is a stand alone Mental Health facility and offers a transition program for Enrolled Nurses.
If you are an Enrolled Nurse with experience working in Mental Health or you would be prepared to participate in our transition program we would welcome your application for a full time position.
The Health Service is committed to EEO, OH&S, Ethical Practices and the principles of Cultural Diversity. Successful applicants are expected to abide by the Code of Conduct. Relevant criminal record checks will be undertaken on recommended applicants. Employment is subject to having current immunity status that complies with the Assessment, Screening & Vaccination against Specified Infectious Diseases. Salary Packaging is available to enhance benefits.