The position of Aboriginal Health Education Officer/Aboriginal Hospital Liaison Officer will be based at the Albury Community Health Centre. The incumbent will work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, families and communities providing emotional, practical, social and welfare support, including developing and implementing health programs in the community, improving health outcomes for Indigenous Australians.
This is a Permanent Full Time position, working 38 hours per week, and classified as Health Education Officer Non Graduate/ Aboriginal Health Education Officer Graduate. This position is located in Albury and belongs to Murrumbidgee Local Health District.
1. Must be of Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander descent (NB applicant’s race is a genuine occupational qualification and is authorised by Section 14 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977, NSW) and have demonstrated knowledge and understanding of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and have established links with their local Aboriginal community.
2. TAFE or University qualifications in an appropriate health or welfare related discipline and/or extensive relevant experience in these fields.
3. Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of current Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander health priorities and ability to effectively and sensitively liaise and communicate with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities.
4. Demonstrated skills in client assessment, support, assistance and advocacy in health or related field and have the ability to develop and delivery culturally appropriate programs and resources.
5. Demonstrated ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team, sound written and oral communication skills and sound negotiation and organisational skills.
6. Demonstrated computer skills and ability to maintain client/program records, provide statistical data and provide reports to management as required.
7. Demonstrated successful experience in working with Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander and non-Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander communities and organisations as well as with government and non–government agencies.
8. Unrestricted NSW drivers licence and ability and willingness to travel for work purposes.
A willingness to undertake professional training and staff development according the positions needs and comply with child protection and domestic violence policies & procedures and attend mandatory training.